21 Apr THREATs of the Week for April 21, 2017
THREAT – our acronym for threats from technology, health, raids/robbery/ransom, environmental, agencies, and terrorists. Here at ‘Wolf, we view the world through these filters.
Technical Threat: Personal Tracking
Remora Tracking is developing the world’s most advanced stand-alone tracking device. As BetaList reports:
Remora Tracking is a cellular & GPS based tracking device that allows you to track anything, from anywhere, and in real-time. Using built-in cellular connectivity, Remora does not need to connect to a phone or outside device to work. Simply log-in to your online dashboard from anywhere in the world, and you can know exactly where the important things in your life are, in real-time. With a refresh rate of as little as 5 seconds, you’ll never lose the important things in your life again.
This is a beautiful system. Get a tracking device and track whoever and whatever is important to you. Child. Dog. Car. Husband who you damn well know is out slinking around with your bitch ex-best friend….
Here’s how Remora describes their system:
Place the tiny, unnoticable (sic) Remora sensor on whatever, or whoever, you want to track via GPS. Remora can be worn by marathon runners or hikers, attached to a pet’s collar, placed in an employee’s vehicle, carried in a child’s backpack, packed in a suitcase, worn by an elderly parent and more.
The tiny Remora sensor then transmits a GPS signal through low-grade cellular service. The idea is that Remora will be able to track from almost anywhere without a phone.
Anyone with permission to access your Remora signal can then view the sensor’s location via a smartphone, tablet, laptop or desktop computer.
Scary cool, huh? You just know that I’m all over this stuff. I can’t wait to get MY Remora or a similar product and put it to use.
But what really excites me is the tech that will be developed to combat these tracking systems. The entrepreneurs building these spy gadgets get my mind going with all the possibilities.
Go take a look at Remora Systems so you have an understanding of what they’re building, how you can use it, and ideally, how you can defeat it. There are other systems already in use, including employee tracking. You’ll want to pay attention to this topic.
- Is this technology sci-fi hype or a new reality?
- What are your worries and concerns?
- How are you going to ensure that you’re not tracked?
Health Threat: Candida Auris
CDC chief fears a deadly superbug’s spread and I feel a flu coming on… Stat News reports that the lethal fungus known as Candida auris is a super bug that’s a ‘catastrophic threat‘, and it’s got the head of the CDC, and a lot of other people, very nervous. Super bugs like this are so resistant to eradication by drugs that they can close hospitals. And of course, they can kill a lot of people.
- Super bugs – what’s your take?
- What can you do to avoid super bugs and bad hospitals?
- This is something I can’t shoot, choke out or blow up. I do not like it.
- Read Stat News (lots of links for good background info on the topic)
- VIDEO: Watch as a superbug is born
Raids, Robbery, Ransom: The Kentucky Derby
Kentucky Derby season draws warnings of human trafficking. Specifically, sex traffickers. Fortunately, Kentucky Attorney General Andy Beshear is stepping up and hosting a three-day training session for law enforcement teams in preparation. Their goal is to save the victims and capture the traffickers, and we wish them good hunting!!
- What will you do if you encounter a victim of human trafficking?
- What will you do if you encounter a trafficker?
- NBC Sports Report
- Kentucky Office of Victims Advocacy
- Report human trafficking in Kentucky
- What is human trafficking?
- Human Trafficking/Involuntary Servitude (FBI)
Report Trafficking & Get Help
If you believe you are the victim of a trafficking situation or may have information about a potential trafficking situation, call the National Human Trafficking Resource Center (NHTRC) at 1-888-373-7888. NHTRC is a national, toll-free hotline, with specialists available to answer calls from anywhere in the country, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, every day of the year related to potential trafficking victims, suspicious behaviors, and/or locations where trafficking is suspected to occur.
External Links & Resources
- U.S. Justice Dept. Human Trafficking Prosecutions
- U.S. Justice Dept. Civil Rights Division
- U.S. Justice Dept. Human Trafficking Laws
Whether you live in areas prone to tornados, or you plan to travel through them, you need to pay attention to the threat of tornados and make real plans for surviving during and after the tornado strikes.
- How do you prepare for a tornado?
- What’s been your experience with FEMA? Tornado insurance?
- FEMA (despite some bad press, FEMA really does have great resources on their website)
- Ready.gov Tornado info
- American Red Cross (I’m a big fan of the Red Cross)
And if you are in an area hit by a tornado, lend your neighbors a hand. We’re all in this together. One team, one fight.
Agency Threat: WikiLeaks…???
Julian Assange: What would charging WikiLeaks with espionage mean for press freedom? Great article on Mic got me thinking about this today. It looks like Jeff Sessions wants to arrest Assange and push this issue to its conclusion.
I’ve seen ‘first hand’ how WikiLeaks has affected our government and our culture. He’s wreaked havoc on the intelligence community, and that’s definitely not cool in my book.
But I do like my First Amendment rights and I’m not willing to see those them degraded.
Go read Eric Lutz’ article. He’s got a lot of background info so you’ll be able to really understand the issue. Do your research. Then you decide – what should our course of action be here?
- Assange: Freedom fighter for freedom of speech, or information terrorist?
- Did the Founding Fathers foresee anything like this? Did they get the First Amendment right?
- Are our government secrets valuable enough to put limits on freedom of the press?
Terror Threat: Attacks
Paris attack: Prosecutors investigate gunman’s terror links after shooting
Trump: Latest Paris shooting will have ‘big impact’ on French presidential race
- How are you keeping track of world terror events?
- How are these terror events affecting your life and travel plans?
- What is your company or school doing to protect their people and keep them aware in the face of this terror?
- Are we working closely enough with the governments of Europe to defeat terror?
(Featured Image Courtesy: AP via Dailymail)